Monday, November 20, 2017

November 20 – “The three visitors”

“The three visitors.”  No, this isn’t a Christmas post about the wise men. 

Once again we had numerous visitors at church yesterday.  Now, most Sundays it is impossible for me to remember the names of all the people I meet.  And of course many times I am meeting someone for the second or third time, and I still can’t recall their names.  Yesterday, though, I finally reached a milestone.  I remembered not one, but three new names of folks visiting with us. 

I struck up a conversation before the service began with one couple and their son, a young man who looked to be in his twenties.  The lady was a real gem.  She was the one who pointed out to me that she was surrounded by two of the Lord’s apostles.  I must have looked a bit confused, because she hurriedly pointed at her husband and said, “He’s Thomas … Doubting Thomas?”  I grinned in recognition.  Then her thumb swung the other direction toward her son, and she introduced him as “John, the Beloved.”  She then said, “The only thing is, John’s middle name is Thomas.”  I stopped her right there.  Way too much conflicting information.  She then introduced herself.  Sadly I cannot for the life of me recall her name, though.  But she continued, “You probably won’t remember me, so just see me as the Alien in the bunch.”  Thomas, John and the Alien.  Got it.

And then I moved across the aisle to greet another couple who had arrived.  This one was a mother and her adult son.  The mom just moved to Jamaica Beach.  The son was visiting her.  Again, I have no idea what Mom’s name was, but … are you ready for this one? … The son’s name was Nathaniel.  Yep.  Three of the apostles right there in church worshipping with us.  Kind of intimidating. 

Psalms 3:8 says, “From the Lord comes deliverance.  May your blessing be on your people.”


Father, would you bless those three guys and the ladies as well?  Give them a happy week.  Amen.

No comments: