Wednesday, November 1, 2017

November 1 – “End of … a month”

Tough day on the neck front yesterday.  Sleep was interrupted several times by a twang or two.  That led to a day of difficulty concentrating on the teaching I was working on.  I even ended up flat out napping a time or two at my desk.  I’ll get used to it eventually.

So about Halloween.  I have to give a shout out to Micah for his costume.  He made it himself … a Dallas Keuchel beard.  Nice job.  Fear the beard.  Mine was apparently a little too difficult to appreciate for non-classic movie lovers.  I got one of those big ol’ head masks they have been selling at WalMart.  The rabbit.  I wore my superman cape and a tie-dyed t-shirt (and a non-descript pair of shorts just to complete the ensemble).  And I pinned a sign to my chest with a picture of a hurricane captioned, “Hurricane Harvey” (See my FaceBook feed for a photo).  Anybody understand the reference?

We hosted our big Halloween party again last night.  At least twenty or twenty-five Seasiders came by the house for pizza and to give away candy and New Testaments.  We ended up running out of candy after giving out over 300 Testaments (Thank you, Gideons, for providing them).  And as usual, the kids were all very excited to receive the “little book.”  One little girl about six years old picked her copy up and looked at it.  She shyly turned her eyes to meet mine and asked in a hushed voice, “Is this a Bible?”  I assured that it was, indeed.  A huge smile spread across her face and suddenly I was no longer the stranger to be wary of.  About the time the smile hit her eyes, she reached out, threw her arms around my neck, and gave me a big hug.  And she whispered in my ear, “Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you so much.”  That was worth the entire night.  It was, in fact, quite the night in the Scripture distribution department. Now we pray that God will use his Word.

We joked all during our time outside handing out candy that Halloween was scheduled to end at 7:20, start time for the World Series game.  And the comments of the Dads walking with their kids seemed to make that more than a jest.  “Hurry up Little Johnny.  The game starts in ten minutes.”  “Happy Halloween.  Go Astros.”  “Come on Susie.  They’re singing the National Anthem.  We have to hurry.”  By 7:45 we were out of candy and the streets were strangely quiet.  Oh, we had some stragglers after that, but by the second inning the Halloween party was over and the Astros watch party had begun.  We were all pretty pooped, however.  Still worn out from the five hour game the other night, I suppose.  I guess the Astros were pooped, too.  Oh, well.  Game seven tonight.  Winner take all.  Here we go …

1 John 5:11 says, “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.”

Father, please use your word to touch some hearts.  Amen.


No comments: