Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3 – “Call us”

 

I just got some potentially disturbing news.  I have been doing really well with the rheumatoid arthritis.  Haven't had a flare-up in quite some time.  The pain has been limited to my fingers and knees and it hasn't been near as bad as it was before this last round of medication.  It has been evident that whatever this combination of drugs does, it has worked for me. 

 

So, my rheumatologist's office called this afternoon and said I had to stop taking all the medications they have me on except the small dose of steroids.  The steroids are what I was going to lobby for stopping at my next visit.  It seems that my liver function blood test results from back in June have just now been received, and they are considerably elevated.  I have no idea what that means, other than it's obviously a no-no, and I have to stop doing what was working.  I asked what I should do if there is another flare-up.  Could I take advil?  Well, that was apparently a stupid question.  It got a quick dismissal, "Oh, no.  That's the same thing as one of the ones you have been taking."  OK.  So my next question was, "Then I guess I just take Tylenol if it gets bad again?"  Again, not such a good question.  Tylenol is on the hit list as well.  I was beginning to get a bit worried.  I asked, "So what do I do if there is another flare-up?  What do I take?"  After a pause that I know was very brief, but that felt like an eternity, she said, "Call us.  We may put you on more steroids.  But call us." 

 

Well, that's not very encouraging.  And just when I thought I could put this one out of my mind and into my pill box.  I know this kind of arthritis is not helped by lots of stress, so let's just add this to the plate full we already have.  Chris not being here.  Chris' Mom about to die.  They need their yard mowed, and have no mower right now.  My Mom and her daily aches and pains and eyedrops and hairdresser appointments and clubs and, as of this week, her three times a week water therapy.  Trying to get Seaside Christian Academy's building finished.  Trying to get enough students registered so we can pay teachers next month.  Encouraging Seasiders to face their crisis of belief and trust God to do what he calls us to join him in doing.  Keeping up with sermons and home group teachings.  Keeping the yard from all dying out one week and mowed the next.  Cleaning house and washing clothes and dishes.  Remembering to eat and see that Mom eats.  Making sure the dogs have food and water and Fritz gets the rest of his pills (at least he'll be done on Friday).  Babysitting Cailyn and / or Jachin and Micah a time or two each week. 

 

I love it.  The action.  The drama.  But it sure is wearing on me.  And if the pain comes back I know it'll get tough.  Hmmm …

 

The Astros are on a six game winning streak.  I hope to go fishing this evening.  Some things are looking up.

 

Psalms 73:23-26 says, "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.  25 Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

 

Father, please forgive me when I sink like this.  I know you are in control.  I know you will work all things out.  I trust you.  Give me peace.  Amen.


No comments: