Thursday, November 9, 2017

November 9 – “Hard to fathom”

After working on the Sunday teaching all morning, I headed to the offices of Galveston Urban Ministries for a meeting with the Christ Together Galveston group.  It’s a bunch of pastors and leaders of local non-profits who are gathering together for prayer and sometimes worship.  This time we met around tables and enjoyed a meal of fajitas from Salsa’s.  After a presentation about involvement in the group, each table prayed together.  At my table I was asked to pray as the “elder statesman.”  Yep.  There it is.  I noticed that I was pretty much the oldest guy in the room once that designation was awarded to me.  Ah, well.  I have been at Seaside 22 years.  Hard to fathom. 

Speaking of “fathom.”  Which definition came first?  The one that is a measurement of depth in the oceanic realms, or the one that means “to figure out or understand”?  And what in the world is the connection between the two that makes the alternate definitions meaningful?  Hard to fathom. 

We picked up Cailyn after school.  Stopped by to say hello to her Dad at work right after that.  Then came a game of catch in the front yard.  Gotta keep up her skills for her Fall Ball games.  We had some chicken and dumplings for supper. Very good stuff.  Then the girls made some cookies for a certain upcoming feast day celebration … Thanksgiving.  Two weeks away.  Once again, time flies.  When the cookies were done we settled onto the couch and watched a cheesy Hallmark movie about Annie Claus, Santa’s syrupy sweet daughter.  Never fear.  She found true love and the guy she ended up with will make a pretty decent Santa when ol’ Dad retires.  Sigh.  Hallmark movies.  I love ‘em.  How do they stay on the air?  Hard to fathom.

3 John 4 says, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”


Father, it’s hard to fathom why you love us like you do, but we are sure glad you do.  Amen.

No comments: