Wednesday, November 22, 2017

November 22 – “Frying ‘em up”

We woke up to two not-so-wonderful morning sounds yesterday.  One was the pitter patter, swoosh, boom of a really hard rain.  Not so good when we had 13 turkeys waiting in the fridge to be fried (Lots of family and friends coming over.  And some will go to my kids at the fire stations).  And then there was the chirping.  That annoying beep that could only be the battery going out in a smoke detector.  In our bedroom.  At 4:30 a.m.  I didn’t even try to get back to sleep.  Chris buried her head under the pillows and made it until 6:30 or so.  Once she was up I went ahead and changed out the batteries, so the racket finally stopped.  So did the rain, for the most part.  Well, except for a shower or two throughout the day.  But we handled that situation with the first time use of our canopy tent.  Fortunately, by the time the next wave of rain came through, Nathan was already here.  They use their canopy extensively, so he helped me set it up.  Velcro and buttons.  Not too confusing, even for my weak mind.

So let me back up a little bit.  Since I was up so early anyway I decided to assemble the new fryers we just got on sale at Academy.  How hard could that be?  Well … they decided not to put anything together.  I mean down to parts of the guts of the operation.  Tiny screw goes here.  Slide through that hole there.  Make sure that piece is close enough to touch the flame.  Leave the last three threads open (Yep, it really said that.  I could barely see the threads, much less count them).  I got it all done, though.  And the second one was much easier to assemble than the first.  My only issue with the construction was, and always has been, the built-in timer.  You have to make sure it has been turned or the flame won’t light.  And then it automatically shuts everything off after fifteen minutes.  I guess that’s supposed to be a security measure to make sure somebody checks on it every so often.  But fifteen minutes?  On a turkey fryer?  It’s going to take at least an hour to cook just one turkey.  And when you are doing 13, a timer is just annoying.  Our answer to the timer issue is … duct tape.  Wrapped it up solid so there is no way it could advance. 

So Nathan and Cailyn came over around nine or ten.  April followed later when she woke up (She worked the night before).  It was a huge help to have Nathan around to help lift the turkeys in and out of the pots.  I managed to last through carving all but the last two.  Cailyn worked really hard, too.  She helped Chris with all the baking for Thanksgiving.  I saw a pumpkin pie, an apple pie, a pecan pie.  Saw some made from scratch chocolate chip cookies, too.  I may or may not have snuck one of those, just to make sure they were edible, of course.

In case you were wondering … lunch on Thursday starts around noon.  Come join us!

Psalms 4:5 says, “Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and trust in the Lord.”


Father, thank you for Nathan and Cailyn’s help yesterday.  Bless them for that.  Amen.

No comments: