Friday, November 17, 2017

November 17 – “Proving me wrong”

Yesterday was one of those days.  I know, that could literally mean anything depending on who says it.  In my case, in this particular blog situation, however, it means that, well, nothing much happened yesterday.  Now here’s where I try to track our footsteps and prove myself wrong.

We did our walk and exercise regimen after being off for four days.  It was easier to accomplish after all that rest, but I’m kind of sore this morning.  Chris cleaned house for home group, and I even did the vacuuming.  Then after getting cleaned up we headed out to run errands.  Asleep yet?  We stopped by the bank to make a deposit.  Still doing our banking the old school way.  Oh, we are set up to do online stuff, and I do that occasionally, but there’s nothing quite like getting to know a banker.  Never know when it might come in handy. 

Next stop was Randalls for some fruit and to pick up a prescription for Chris.  While in line at the pharmacy an old guy wearing a World War II Marines veteran cap asked the fellow behind me (who was just a bit older than me, himself), if he would mind holding his place in line while he sat down for a few minutes to rest his bad leg.  He assured the old fellow that he would.  Well, Chris and I heard the interchange, so I struck up a conversation with the guy behind us and asked if he would mind if we let the old guy go in front of us.  He was readily in favor of the plan.  As we continued our chat he asked about my fire department hat, and we shared which neighborhoods we lived in.  I told him I was born here in 1953.  He said he arrived on the Island in 1956.  Just a couple of salt between the toes, long-time Galvestonians.  Always good to find a kindred spirit. 

Then we headed to Walmart … of course.  We did have a plan this time, though.  Turkeys.  Next week is Thanksgiving, which means next Tuesday is turkey fry day.  So we had to grab ten of the right sized beasts.  Fortunately we got there just after a bin-stocking, so we loaded up on 14-15 pounders.  Why so many?  Well, we will have the whole family over, plus some Seasiders are planning to join us.  We also freeze as much as we can to use throughout the year.  And we’ll give some away, so it will all find a place by the end of next week.  It took some maneuvering, but Chris managed to find a place for all the birds in the fridge until we can fire up the fryers next week. 

As I was studying for the home group Bible study I got an email from the daughter of some good friends from Arlington.  Her parents are finally making the big move to Galveston and their retirement home here.  But they ran into a problem on the way down here.  One of the two trucks that was hauling their belongings caught fire.  I don’t know how much was destroyed, but everything in there was at least water or smoke affected.  Their daughter was asking if we could stop by their house today and give them a hug.  That sounds doable. 

Bible study went well.  Ten of us talking about manna from heaven (The kind in the Book of Exodus).  After everyone left we crashed on the couch with an orange and watched a Hallmark Christmas movie. 

So there you have it.  We have reached the end of our day.  One of those days.  I guess we did end up accomplishing something, though, didn’t we?

Psalms 1:6 says, “For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.”


Father, thank you for giving us one more of those days.  Be with the Philpot’s as they sort through their stuff.  Amen.

No comments: