Friday, December 3, 2010

December 3 – “Turn it to zero”

 

The refrigerator repairman from Sears came this afternoon to fix the icemaker.  Again.  It has already been replaced with a brand new one just a few weeks ago.  Actually he was supposed to be here yesterday morning.  Never showed up.  I called this morning and they assured me he would be here this afternoon.  The lovely customer service representative on the phones didn't have much of a vocabulary.  I asked if there was a way to register a complaint since we had to sit around all day yesterday and wait.  She repeated, "The system says that the tech will be there between one and five p.m. on December 3rd."  It didn't matter what I said to her, the answer was always the same, "The system says that the tech will be there between one and five p.m. on December 3rd."  Chris wanted me to speak to the lady's supervisor, but I don't think she would have been able to do that unless the system told her to. 

 

The tech finally called and said he was on his way.  Then he made an unusual request.  He asked me if the icemaker was in the door or in the fridge itself.  I opened the door and said it was in the fridge.  Then he asked me to take the bucket that collects the ice out.  No problem.  Then he said to turn the refrigerator off.  I asked him to repeat that.  He said, "On the control panel turn the temperature to zero.  Nothing will spoil or anything.  It will just warm up the inside and make the mechanism easier to take out."  I asked him again, just to verify what he said, "You want me to turn the temperature control to zero?"  He assured me that's what he wanted.  I didn't do that.

 

See, it seems to me that if you turn the temperature control knob down in an appliance designed to keep things cold, then the appliance will make every effort to get the inside of the refrigerator down to the new temperature, which will be even colder that before.  In fact, to put the control of the fridge on zero would make it the same as the freezer.  Zero degrees farenheit.  I did find a little on-off switch on the actual icemaker unit.  That I turned to off. 

 

Wonder how many people would act out of their confusion and just do what the guy told them to do?  Make sure that what someone tells you is true.  Verify the command.  But to do that you need a reliable source of authority.  Kind of like before doing something stupid, check to see if it meshes with Scripture.

 

2 Tim 3:14-17 says, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.  All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

 

Father, Thank you for giving us a rule book we can count on.  Amen.


No comments: