Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1 – “Wednesday Club Invasion”

 

This morning I began preparations for the Christmas services at church.  I already began the Advent series on Sunday mornings, so at least the general topic for each day is pretty well covered.  And I still have some time to craft the Christmas Eve service.  That's one of my favorites, because we have done all kinds of creative things over the years, which also means I have to get extra creative to come up with a new Christmas story.  One of the fun things I try to do at least every other year is write a story that somehow relates to Christmas.  Then while I am crafting the story, I try to carve something for Chris that relates to it.  Then when I read the story – usually at the Christmas Eve service – she tries to guess what her carving might be.  Sometimes it's easy.  I like doing animals.  And one year I did a manger with a little Jesus baby in it. 

 

Chris told me today that she wants to read one of the stories to her Wednesday Club gathering that meets at our house this afternoon.  That meant an intensive search of computer backup files, because I already knew the originals were wiped out by Hurricane Ike.  I found all but one of them.  I was especially disappointed to remember that one of the stories was actually illustrated.  Probably the only time I ever drew anything worth keeping.  Sad.

 

Going through all those backup files gave me an opportunity to run across my files of Christmas trivia and activities.  We also have a home group Christmas party coming up, so I have to put together a quiz that will stump them.  More research coming. 

 

Amos 4:13 says, "He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals his thoughts to man, he who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth — the Lord God Almighty is his name."

 

Father, grant that those ladies who came over today will be happy.  Especially the two who are over ninety-five years old.  Wow.  Amen.


No comments: