Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21 – “Lunar eclipse”

 

So I missed the lunar eclipse last night.  I saw online that it was supposed to start at 12:30.  No way was I going to stay up for it.  I'm too old for that.  I figured I would eventually have to get up to go to the bathroom at some point.  Also a factor of aging, I might add.  I turned the lights off in the bedroom around 11:00.  Sure enough, I woke up at 2:50 a.m.  Made my "necessary trip" and headed outside.  I knew I was too late as soon as I opened the door.  It was really bright outside, and not because someone left their Christmas lights on all night.  The moon was as full and bright as it could be.  Very beautiful.  Not an eclipse, but very beautiful.  Sorry I missed the event, but grateful for the incredible view.

 

It's obviously getting down to the wire for Christmas.  Yesterday we went to the post office.  Yes, it was a daunting task.  Not as bad as I expected, though.  We mailed a package to Chris' sister in Virginia.  While we were there we decided to get some more Forever stamps in anticipation of all the mail we have to send out.  The clerk was great.  As she put the little tag on our box, she was going through her speech about "flammable liquids or anything the Department of Homeland Security would be interested in or did we want insurance or did we want to track it or …"  It was enough to put anyone to sleep as she droned on toward the end.  I was not deterred by the incoming messages to shut down, to take a nap, to doze off, to check out, to … wait.  I'm back.  So, my hearing aids were buzzing in anticipation.  I finally heard what I was listening for, "or Forever stamps or …"  "That's it!" I jumped in.  She was so startled she forgot where she was in her monologue.  So I smiled and said, "That's what I was waiting for.  Forever stamps."  She regained her composure and got our stamps.  She even said "Merry Christmas" back when I said that as we left.

 

That's been my goal this season as well as in times past.  I try to always say Merry Christmas, and then listen to see how they respond.  Sometimes they go with "Happy Holidays," particularly when they beat me to the punch.  But the interesting thing is, most of the time they respond with a "Merry Christmas" of their own.  I was kind of taking a chance the other day at Office Depot, though.  The clerk's name was Benjamin.  Very Hebrew.  I tried it anyway, and sure enough he let loose with a "Merry Christmas."  Back at you, Ben.

 

Speaking of mail, this morning Chris hand addressed the envelopes to send out our family Christmas letter.  She is making her list and checking it twice (Wait.  Why does that sound eerily familiar?).  We are supposed to go to the store again today.  Final touches on presents.  Grocery run for when all the kids and grandkids are here.  Our family Christmas present exchange won't be until next Tuesday, though.  That's the first time that Josh and Christi and their boys will be here and Nathan will be off work all at the same time.  Can't wait to see them.

 

Oh.  This Level Two writing thing is really helping me.  Maybe someday my kids will read it and it will leak out.  That is unless the computer dies - like our desktop did this morning.  

 

Psalms 37:1-4 says, "Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.  Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.  Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

 

Father, that scripture really touches me at the Level Two of my existence today.  Thank you for your encouragement.  Amen.


No comments: