Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27 – “A Guest Teacher”

 

Josh and Christi got here yesterday.  I didn't they were coming until after church in San Antonio, but what do I know?  Christi's grandparents were in a pretty bad wreck on their way to their church's Christmas Eve services.  They are OK now, but will be in the hospital for awhile as they recover. 

 

I texted Josh when I found out they were planning to meet us at church.  I asked him if he had a sermon in his back pocket that he would like to do at Seaside.  Sure enough, he said he did and would like to lay it on us, as long as it didn't interfere with what I already had planned.  One of the things he was disappointed about in his move to the monster church in San Antonio was that it looked like he wasn't going to get as many opportunities to teach as he at first thought.  The way I see it, one of my main responsibilities as a pastor is to give young guys that are called by God the opportunity to exercise that calling in a safe place.  Besides, he is an amazing teacher.

 

And he didn't prove me wrong.  The teaching was about how God commanded us to be joyful at celebrations (like Christmas!), even when we don't feel like it or when our circumstances are in the pits.  It was a great encouragement to be positive and encouraging as part of who you are as a believer.  We also prayed and sent Lanny out into the world as a missionary for Christ.  People shared encouraging words for him, and he laid some more of that Lanny-wisdom on us as well.  Looking forward to whoever it is that God will raise up to meet this particular need in our family.

 

Sunday afternoon became one of those times when no matter what I did, I just couldn't keep my eyes open.  Of course all the little guys had to take a nap, so it made for the perfect excuse.  Problem was, Josh was talking to Chris and me as she finished cleaning up the kitchen.  I could feel myself sinking, so I moved to the couch to sit down.  Big mistake.  I have no idea when that conversation ended.

 

James 5:13-16 says, "Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.  Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.  Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

 

Father, please touch Christi's grandparents and do for them just what they need.  Bring them and the family your comfort and peace.  Amen.


No comments: