Tuesday, June 26, 2018

June 26 – “Rescue”


Well, I started having lots of trouble with my phone.  It had become quite ornery with respect to charging time.  I had to wiggle the plug around and around in it until it made that dong sound, but that didn’t necessarily mean it was connected.  I still had to gently place it on a table with some object under the cord to keep it in place.  Finally, the screen on the camera went totally black.  That was a last straw thing for Chris.  Don’t mess with her picture taking.  New phone time.  We made our way over to the AT&T store and were greeted by a girl who reminded both of us of our friend from Mansfield, Cami Jones.  She was pretty impressive, too.  And fortunately, this time, we had the passwords we needed to allow her to completely set up the new phone.  We didn’t go highest-end.  Rarely do.  I think this one is an iPhone 8.  The iPhone X (Which I assume means ten.  Not sure what happened to number nine) was pretty expensive, and the bells and whistles it offers are not things I would use anyway.  I think the biggest advancement is supposed to be in the camera.  I’m pretty sure that will get a workout.  I even had the foresight this time to bring along the password.  Cami II got me all set up and good to go.

While we were out we stopped at WalMart (imagine that).  We needed to get snacks for our upcoming trip to Riverbend Campground in Glenrose, Texas.  Josh’s church is doing children’s camp there this week, but we managed to snag their pastor’s cabin for a few days.  Cailyn is coming with us, so she can get in on some of the camp stuff.  While we were there we picked up a knee brace for the old man (that would be me).  If this is “just mild osteoarthritis” then the brace is supposed to be helpful.  We shall see. 

Back at home I was preparing to watch the Astros game when Chris came running in and breathlessly asked me to get my fishing net and hurry outside.  Of course I complied without complaint and with an extra pocketful of curiosity.  I grabbed the net from the garage and joined her in the front yard.  To give you a quick lay of the land, our neighbors have a small kiddie pool set up in their front yard.  And in that pool this fine day was … a baby bird.  Momma and Daddy bird were making some horrendous squawking sounds.  The little guy was kind of bouncing up and down, struggling desperately to keep its head above water.  I swept in with the fishing net and collected the little guy as gently as I could.  I set him down on the grass and he hopped his way into the bushes.  Momma and Daddy bird immediately flew down to check on him, and he ended up hopping into some denser brush at the house two doors down.  But he was safe and sound … for the time being, at least.  Then Chris got permission from our neighbors to empty the little pool to prevent such a near tragedy from happening again.  They agreed, and the empty pool now sits high and dry under their house.  Mission accomplished.

Psalms 71:19 says, “Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, you who have done great things.  Who, O God, is like you?”

Father, take care of that little bird.  You have every feather on his back numbered, don’t you?  Amen.

No comments: