Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21 – “Ice beating on the wall”

 

I went back to Office Depot this morning and picked up an external hard drive.  It has one terabyte of space on it, so I assume everything we have will fit on there.  I turned it on to back up our desktop computer where our pictures are.  That was three or four hours ago.  It just passed 41 thousand megabytes.  I think that means 41 gigabytes.  Is a terabyte is a hundred or a thousand gigabytes?  I don't know.  I guess it'll fit.  But then again, it's still going. 

 

We got invited to watch the regatta or sailboat races or whatever that's called today.  Christina texted us, and I understand Micah asked about my presence in particular.  I would have gone, too, but I had to wait around for the ice maker repair guy.  He didn't get here until 4:00.  But they said somewhere between one and five.  He made it. 

 

Of course by the time he got here the machine was behaving perfectly.  Two nights ago I had to get up out of bed and turn it off.  It was knocking on the wall so loud that neither of us could sleep.  And I didn't even have my hearing aids in, so it must have been really loud.  Some of its sounds I can identify.  There is a whooshing that it makes when it is filling up with water.  There is a sound like ice dropping on other ice when … well … when newly made ice drops on the other ice.  Imagine that.  But the other night the sound was quite distinctive.  More like ice beating on the wall trying to get our attention.  When I got up I opened it up and the inside light was even flickering.  That's why we went ahead and called.  It's been doing this off and on for about a month.  And of course today was the day to be off.  It never did anything even remotely wrong while the guy was here.  He tested did everything he could think of to challenge it, but it never broke character.  I'm pretty sure it was waiting for him to leave and for me to get complacent again.  Then it'll be back with a vengeance.  He told me a few things to watch for if it happens again to help narrow down the search.  But basically this was one of those "I'm sure glad it's still under warranty" calls.

 

Chris went to Bay City again today.  Her Dad had a doctor's appointment in Houston, so she went to take him.  He was amazed that she was going to do it.  Guess he thought she would cut him off after her Mom died.  But this is Chris we're talking about.  She's awesome.  She wants to maintain the relationship she has been working so hard to establish over the last two years in particular.  I'm praying that God will use Chris to draw her toward Jesus.  Anything can happen.  He is, God, after all. 

 

Matthew 19:25-26 says, "When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, 'Who then can be saved?'

Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'"

 

Father, once again, I entrust Chris and her Dad to you.  Keep her safe.  Give her your wisdom.  Draw him to you.  Amen.


1 comment:

The Goddess said...

Next time the ice maker is knocking, get out your cell phone and video it!