Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12 – “Mickey Mantle”

 

 

So what has happened to Galveston since I was a kid?  I searched all over town for an individual hard plastic baseball card holder, and no one had any.  Are there no collectors?  Did they all move to Texas after Hurricane Ike?  Must I now drive into Texas myself to find a simple card holder?  Alas.

 

I have presented each of my grandchildren with a baseball card in honor of their birth.  To be more specific, a Mickey Mantle baseball card.  He happened to be one of those guys I had numerous cards of.  He was a great player.  Every kid wanted a Mantle card.  Hey.  Every kid wanted to be Mantle.  Besides, it was too hard to find Bob Aspromonte cards.  Mantle cards also happen to be pretty sought after among modern collectors.  I figured I had enough for each of my boys to have a kid or two.  We've hit six grandkids so far, and I'm not hearing sounds of letting up from any of them.  Bring 'em on.

 

Tonight was the night for Josiah to receive his Mickey Mantle.  We had to go to the hospital to pick up Jachin and Micah from their Aunt Jen.  They are staying with us now until Mom and Dad and Baby Brother get home.  Tomorrow afternoon, hopefully.  Soon as the final results of all his bloodwork come back.  So the pressure was on.  And no plastic card holder.

But never fear, Pete Rose was here.  I remembered that I had a Pete Rose rookie card in a case.  And since his suspension from baseball for gambling, I figured it was time he was demoted.  At least until I can get to a Hobby Lobby to get another case.  Case closed.

 

2 Corinthians 9:15 says, "Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!"

 

Father, thank you for the great gift you have given Chris and I called grandchildren.  Nothing quite like them.  Amen.


No comments: