Saturday, April 4, 2009

April 4 – “Street Baseball”

 

Today was clean the church day again.  The kids form Seaside Christian Academy clean and set up on Fridays before they leave school.  This week they did an exceptional job.  Made it possible for us to do some extra cleaning we don't usually have time for.  That'll make it better for Easter.

 

Ned showed up to do some work again.  He never toots his own horn.  Just sees something that needs to be done and quietly does it.  By my understanding, that is a perfect example of someone with the spiritual gift of service.  Thanks for listening to God, Ned.

 

Chris and I had lunch at our house in Galveston.  Just us.  No workers there.  There were some kids playing street baseball, though.  That sure brought back memories for me.  I spent many an hour doing the same thing.  It also caused a surge of encouragement in me.  For the future of Gulf Village.  So, maybe memories are supposed to awaken in us a spirit of encouragement about the future.

 

We went back by the Omega Bay house to get the truck.  The plan was to go to Lowe's and buy vanity tops.  Cailyn and her Mommy were there.  She got fussy, so I got to hold her until she went to sleep.  Then Chris took over.  She misses us.  Obviously.

 

We went on to Lowe's.  And they didn't have the vanity top Chris wants – for either bathroom.  We went to the Home Depot next door, but they didn't have it either.  She's pretty sure we saw one of the ones she wants at the Home Depot in Galveston.  We decided to stop by there on the way to pick up Mom.  She was spending the day with two of her friends.  But she was getting a little antsy.  She called before we got to the causeway, asking where we were.  I guess we'll look for those vanity tops some other day.

 

I made a few casts after we got back to Omega Bay.  No bites.  But the superstar fisherman who lives across the canal wasn't catching anything, either.  I'll try again later. 

 

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 says, "The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.'   In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.'   For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."

 

Father, I understand that remembering can encourage.  Why, then does it so often discourage?  Help me focus on the potential ahead of the memories.  Amen.


No comments: