Wednesday, May 26, 2021

May 26 – “Day 23: Trying something new”

This getting up kind of early and having to wait for “the call from the condo” has given us a chance to watch a few movies.  Yesterday we saw a movie make of David Copperfield.  I never did read that book.  Bad on me, I guess.  The movie was kind of weird, so I wasn’t inspired in further literary pursuit in that particular direction, sad to say. 

 

When the time came, we made our way south to the condo.  Once again the family was already at the beach, so we dropped off our stuff and joined them.  There was a little excitement this time, beyond just watching the youngsters play in the sand and the waves.  Josh, Zak, and Caleb were in the water, about up to their waist.  Suddenly jumped up and made their way as quickly as they could to the water’s edge.  I thought something might be wrong, but they didn’t head toward us.  Instead, they took off in a dead sprint in the other direction, pointing at the water.  That made me think something might have gone really wrong in the water, so I started following in their direction.  All was well, but they had indeed seen something unusual.  Seems a whole school of rays had just swam by them.  “At least twenty” by Josh’s estimate.  That was amazing that they got to see something like that.  I know I never have.  Well, at least I never had.  A little while later a second school of rays made its way right in front of us.  They were casually making their way through the cut.  And twenty was a pretty good estimate.  I told the boys it was the Tampa baseball team out for a morning workout.  It was amazing.  Unexpected.  And quite beautiful.

 

Since all the excitement appeared to have ceased, we made our way back inside for some lunch.  Plenty of leftovers.  I admit I may have dozed off for a minute or two.  Next we went to the swimming pool for one last dip before time to leave in the morning. 

 

Now, I have been mentioning local cuisine on occasion.  I have a question.  Does it make you a local if you eat in the same place more than once?  I mean, if you have a choice and you actually choose to return?  Well, count us local, then.  We made a return visit to one of out previous stops.  Any guesses which one?  The answer is … Lambert’s, Home of the Throwed Rolls.  The discussion at supper was who has tried the most new things on vacation.  Luke outdid Zak by one when he tried some fried okra.  I mentioned our air boat ride, the manatees we saw, and eating alligator.  Not to mention seeing the school of rays.  But unbeknownst to me, my list of something news was not complete.

 

We topped off the evening with a trip to the local amusement park called The Track.  There was a reason for the name.  It has not one, but five different go-cart tracks, along with other amusement park type rides.  AnnaGrace enjoyed the ones that spun her in circles.  The older guys took a spin on a track that rose several stories up in the sky.  But finally in was Luke’s turn.  He chose to ride a two-seater go-cart with his Dad.  But they had something else up their sleeve.  Seems they had saved up enough points for ol’ DadDad to get in a cart by himself.  What they didn’t know was this … ol’ DadDad had never been on a go-cart before.  Yet another first time experience for me.  And boy, did I ever make the most of it.  I raced around that course against those pre-teenagers.  I zipped in and out and up and down (that track was really bumpy).  I saw Josh and Luke once up ahead of me.  Way ahead of me.  turn to the right here.  Back to the left there.  I had that track’s number, to be sure.  All the way up to the final blaze of glory toward the finish line.  I came in … last.  I mean, I came in dead last.  I mean, they were already letting people get out of their carts when I finally puttered in.  It was fun, though.  Hey … trying something new …

 

Galatians 5:25 says, “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”

 

Father, thank you for all the new experiences of the last few weeks.  Thanks especially for the beauty of the schools of rays we got to see. Amen.

 

No comments: