Friday, May 14, 2021

May 14 – “Day Eleven: Warning … what??”

We left wherever that was we spent the night last night at a bit more leisurely pace than the last few rather frantic attacks.  Not that we didn’t get on the road and make some miles.  It was just a little less wild and crazy than feeling like we had to be somewhere and check off some boxes.  Hey.  My boxes are all checked.  All else is gravy.

 

We took an off-the-book route to the Canaveral National Seashore.  By off-the-book I mean we didn’t rely on good ol’ Apple Siri.  She wasn’t too pleased with our choices, so we just gave her some time off.  It was kind of fun to pull out the paper map and play with our own routes again.  We ended up passing right by the landing strip of the space shuttle.  That was over where the actual Cape Canaveral base was.  We weren’t heading there.  After all, we have both been to NASA back when it was everything space travel.  Of course from where we were, we couldn’t see anything.  These Florida jungles block views of everything.  They have a space launch scheduled for May 15th.  We considered hanging around for that, but that would have entailed two days of doing essentially nothing.  As tempting as that sounded, we decided to forego the space ship and forge ahead.  It was fun.  Apple Siri couldn’t find us for almost an hour.

 

We finally reconnected with that online sweetheart and made our way to the Canaveral Seashore National Park.  Or something like that.  Our first stop was at what they called the Turtle Mound.  Not what you may think.  It was just a trail they have made through the jungle to the bay where you could hang out and stare at the water.  It used to be some kind of Indian settlement.  And I guess a turtle colony as well.

 

Next came the actual visitor center.  Yep.  Got the stamp.  Check.  Got another puzzle to work when we get back home, too.  Then we drove over to the place where we could hike to a historic house.  Except after we hiked there, it was closed for Covid.  Oh, well.  The hike was good.  Next we went to the beach.  The beach.  Can you imagine that?  A couple of Islanders making the trek to the beach.  Ok.  It WAS the Atlantic beach.  So there was that.  And it was more of that crushed shell stuff.  No sand.  Weird.  But I touched the water.  My own personal quirk. 

 

Oh, and we did pass a warning sign just before the beach.  It read: “Warning.  You may encounter nude sunbathing within boardwalk 5.”  When we approached boardwalk 5 a few miles later, I may or may not have excitedly told Chris to slow way down.  About that time I reached into the back seat.  She had no idea what was going on.  Ashe did slow down, then asked, “What is wrong?”  With continued excitement I might have said something like, “No!  No!  It’s just … we’re at boardwalk 5! I need to get the camera ready!”  She was not amused.  P.S.  The only nude sunbather we saw was an armadillo trying to dig a hole in the side of the road.  We stopped and I jumped out with my phone camera at the ready.  I snuck up on him from behind, snapping a few shots on the way.  And when I was almost right on top of him, I yelled, “Hey, you!”  He jumped straight up and took a good five leaps before he stopped.  He slowly looked back as if to say, “OK.  You got me.”  He posed perfectly for a wonderful photo for our memory book. 

 

From there we went to a lighthouse.  It was an hour or so down the road.  Ponce de Leon something or other.  We walked all the way up and back down the 203 steps.  Survived.  Oh, and … we got a stamp.  Check.

 

On to St Augustine.  On the way we saw the stands of the Daytona 500 Speedway.  We also saw a few Buc-ees.  What? 

 

Remember Farrah?  The advertising lawyer?  I think he must have read my blog.  We saw a lawyer sign that had pictures of both Farrah and Farrah both on it.  Glad I could help, Farrah.  It was only fair-ah.

 

John 14:27 says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

 

Father, thank you for the slower pace.  We have needed it.  Well, I have.  Amen.

No comments: