Saturday, September 2, 2017

September 2 – “Thank you, Atoka”

Seaside received a shipment of supplies yesterday designated for Hurricane Harvey flood victims.  That in itself was not such an earth-shattering occurrence.  But here’s the thing.  The supplies all came from a tiny little town in Oklahoma called Atoka.  One of our Seasiders came from there and in fact still has a business there.  Bob had gone back to Atoka to check on things, leaving his family here on the Island.  And then Harvey decided to pay us a visit.  Bob’s wife Sharon braved the storm alone, and did quite well for her first hurricane, I might add.  Meanwhile Bob and the townspeople of Atoka were watching the news and seeing the devastation caused by flooding near Bob’s new adopted hometown.  And they decided to act.

The people of Atoka came together with an outpouring of love and support.  They sent rubber boots and gloves, bleach and laundry detergent, garbage bags and paper towels.  There were baby supplies and cans of food, boxes of clothes and bags of pillows, sheets and towels, toothpaste and toothbrushes and personal hygiene supplies of all kinds, soap and shaving cream, razors and deodorant and shampoo.  They included cases of water and soda and even a full cot.  Everything was just amazing.  We sorted it all out and got it ready to distribute as we work through the needs as we become aware of them.  Bob even hand-delivered some monetary donations to go toward the relief effort.

But that wasn’t my favorite part.  My favorite donations all came in one particular plastic tub.  The tub itself was filled with samples of the goods I already mentioned, and even had a coloring book and a box of crayons.  But written on the outside of that tub was this inscription, “With love and prayers, Tushka 3rd Grade Class.”  And intermingled amongst the supplies were index cards, handwritten by the students of the class.   I cannot do better than to share them with you, just as they appeared to us.  We will see that the cards make their way with the supplies to the families in need, but let me share them with you first.  I only wish you could see them in the children’s own handwriting.
“Billy Bunch Male” drew a map of Oklahoma with an arrow showing us where Atoka was (or at least where the smiley face with the goofy tongue was from).  He also included a few hearts with flowers inside them. 
“Landon  Thushka, OK  have a great day  Remember gods with us all he’s watching over us he will love you always.”
On the back of a card with a beautiful drawing of a flower, Lilly Callicoat wrote, “Have hope.  Everything will be OK!” Followed by a heart, of course.
Rayne drew us some happy faces with a goofy tongue sticking out and one with hearts for eyes.  She said, “God bless U!!”
Hayden sent a happy face with hair next to a cross and said, “I am praying for you.  God bless you.”
Here’s another: “I am praying for all of you.  I hop you will tell them that Tara is praying.”  She illustrated with a red, smiling heart and the words, “The Light of the world.”
One had a cross with these words inscribed inside it, “God bless us”
“I love you so much I hope yal all hill!”  From Tyler.
Noah sent a picture of a flag with a lone star in the corner and said, “God bless yall.”
 “I hope you find a home God bless you all XO XO XO (8 hearts) XO XO XO (3 hearts) XO.”  That was followed by a cross picture and, “God’s kross we love you so so much. Love, Izleigh Rea Joines”
“God bless Texas.”  Gotta love the simple ones.
“We are praying for you god bless you all be brave god is with you no mader what.  God (heart)s you!”
And my personal favorite, “I am so sory that your state fluded.  Love yall.” 

1 Peter 5:7 says, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”


Father, thank you for the expressions of love in words and pictures as well as in donations.  Bless Bob for his efforts in getting everything here from Oklahoma, and the town of Atoka for their love and support.  Now please give us guidance as we distribute in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

2 comments:

Suzan Cox said...

My heart is full as I read this. I am proud to say that these students are from my 3rd grade class. I truly believe that children's hearts are the closest thing you can get to unconditional "Agape" love. I told the kids to write what was in their heart & words that they would like to hear if they were experiencing this tragedy. Some still remember the devastation of the 2011 Tornado that destroyed our community and school. Thank you so much for posting this and I can't wait to read this to my class. Love & prayers from Oklahoma, Mrs. Cox

Unknown said...

Hi. I'd really love to share your story! I'm Deanna Stuart, I live in Atoka and had no idea Tushka was writing letters or involved in this emergency situation. We also have family and friends in Texas and we are broken hearted. I am the Reporting Editor at the Atoka County Times also. Would you please contact me if I may be able to share this? My email is makeitcometolife@hotmail.com
I know and love Sharon and Bob Wyrick and some of their gorgeous children and friends and they have treated us as if we were family as well. Please let me know if I may be a part of this.
Sincerely,
Deanna