Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20 – “How do you spell that?

Here’s a fun one from an estate sale Chris and I went to on Friday before we left for the funeral. 

While waiting to pay for the white fox collar Cailyn found (Her latest favoritest animal) and the sugar bowl that matches Mom’s china set we have and the little end table that Chris found (the whole thing came to around $40.  Not a bad deal, right?), I overheard two men talking. 
Man 1: “I grew up in Santa Fe.”
Man 2: “I’m from Dallas.  Wait.  Santa Fe?  New Mexico?  How did you come to be in Galveston?”
Man 1 (Looking at me with a whimsical look in his eye): “No.  Santa Fe, Texas.”
Man 2: (Looking at me.  Not sure why I was drawn into the conversation at all, but I figured I might as well go with it): “Is there really such a place?”
Me: “Oh, yes.  It’s just the other side of the Causeway headed into Texas.  It’s where you go from Galveston to get out into the country.”
Man 1: “Yup.  Where I grew up we had a lotta talla trees.”
Man 2: “Talla?  How do you spell that?”
Man 1: “Talla.  T-A-L-L (Here he paused, grinned real big and winked at me) -O-W.  Talla.”
(Here they both looked at me yet again, one for confirmation, the other with a look that screamed, “What is he saying?”)
Me (After a long pause for maximum effect): “Yep.  Of course.  How else would you spell it?  Talla.”

I really love living in Galveston.

Romans 12:3 says, “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”


Father, thank you for my great Island and its even greater people.  Amen.

No comments: