Wednesday, January 28, 2015

January 28 – “Into the past”

I went to another funeral yesterday.  This one was here in town at least.  In fact it was kind of a trip into the past – my past.  For one thing I saw quite a few folks from days gone by.  From our neighborhood.  From our days at Grace Episcopal Church (that’s where the funeral was held).  I also saw quite a few folks from around town, whether it from the sheriff’s office where her husband had a connection (I counted at least seven sheriff vehicles) or from other places in the workings of the city and county.  I commented to the lady I stood next to (that’s right.  Stood.  It was standing room only even after they set out extra chairs) that Grace Church probably hasn’t been that full since those days in  the early 60’s when we would pack  it out on Easter Sunday.  She agreed and apologized for the fifth or sixth time for not recognizing me.  Mrs. Bridges had been a member at Grace for many years as well, and I actually recognized her when I walked in.   

Mrs. Janek, the lady who died, was one of those really active at church kind of people when we were growing up as kids at the church.  She had three sons just like my Mom did.  As I recall I was close in age to her oldest.  My younger brother was friends with her middle child.  The priest mentioned a photo from 1962 that has been hanging in the church hall for a long time.  It was a big picture of everyone who had attended Easter morning services that day.  She told everyone where to find those three boys in the photo.  I had to chuckle.  I knew where to find me in that photo.  There is also a photo of Mom and Dad’s wedding as well, by the way.  Check it out next time you go on one of those church-oriented historical homes tours. 

The service itself was kind of an eerie reflection of the Catholic service we went to for Chris’ aunt.  Sam basic format, but this one was much shorter, and everything except the Lord’s Prayer was in modern English.  Really confused people who were trying to say the 23rd Psalm from memory rather than just read it from the program.  Two of the boys had a part in the service.  The oldest read some scripture, as did one of the grandsons.  The middle child reminisced a bit about the years the family spent in church there, and he also spoke some words of thanks and appreciation from the family. 

The one thing that stood out from the service for me, though, was a passing statement made by the priest.  It was one of those “ponder this for a while” kind of things, and I am still in pondering mode, so I’ll invite you to join me.  Here it is.  What do you think?

“Her journey didn’t start when she was born, and it didn’t end when she died, for her journey is but a part of the journey of Jesus.”

Galatians 2:20 says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

Father walk with the Janek family through their grief.  Draw them closer to you so that your strength can be their comfort.  Amen.

No comments: