Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 17 – “Plan B”

I started off my blog this morning with my thoughts concerning a really tough fire call some of our guys had to deal with involving a child.  I actually got the entry written and everything, but I was just not sure about posting it.  It did allow me to crystalize my own feelings about the situation and the role I have as chaplain in it.  I’ll have to do some more thinking and praying about that one. 

So instead, what can I talk about?  Guess I could go with the straight reporting of activities.  I have done that before.  We did go to Shrimp N Stuff for lunch yesterday with Cailyn and Nathan.  That’s always a plus.  And Chris is back working on quilts again, so she is definitely engaged during the day.  I have been losing myself in work at the computer, trying to stay ahead of things as far as church is concerned.  The retreat center there at church is really hopping, especially this week.  A group from central Texas is leading a training workshop for disaster relief workers.  They are always a great group to have.  Even got a call from them yesterday.  One of the workers ran across our box of Seaside imprinted coffee mugs and wanted to know if she could buy a few.  She was having an incredible experience here, and a friend of hers had been here a few years ago with the same positive experience, so she wanted something to commemorate it.  I told her to just take the four she wanted with our complements.  I think she is planning to put an extra offering in the plate before they leave, though. 

Our next big project around the house looks like it might be building a workbench for the garage.  I found a how-to guide on Home Depot’s website, and it doesn’t look all that difficult.  Of course Nathan reminded me that he has all the power tools over at his house from back when he had to do some emergency repairs on his stairs that collapsed.  He assured me he would get them back when I needed them, though.  In fact he offered to go with me to Home Depot to get the supplies.  Something about a new hammer drill or something like that.  Sounded like a veritable Tim the Tool Man.  That would be a fun trip, I’m sure.  And a fun project.  Of course once it’s done I’ll have to clean out and straighten up the garage again.  Work always produces more work, doesn’t it? 

Well, I guess I rambled on about our boring life for long enough.  Time to move on to something a bit more productive.  Oh, tonight is our home Bible study.  Guess I should get prepared for that …

Genesis 2:15 says, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.”

Father, I guess you have been providing us with a job to do literally from the beginning of time.  Help me to do it with a smile and a fresh burst of energy every day.  Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Post the original story if it helps you Mr. Vaughan. Calls involving children are always hard. I happened to be at the hospital that night and the outcome was not favorable. But if your words allow for healing in the members involved, and/or you then post away. :)