Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12 – “Memorial”

I went to another funeral yesterday.  This one was for Susan Antonelli, a girl I went to high school with.  I haven’t really kept up with her personally over the years, but she also lived in Galveston, so I did see evidence of her life many times.  She ran her own travel agency and was, among other things, on the original board of directors of the Ronald McDonald House here in Galveston.  I just remember her as a very sweet girl with long brown hair and a ready smile. 

And I wasn’t the only one who remembered her.  The funeral home experienced a major problem with an overflow crowd.  I joined others who stood in the hall at the back of the room during the service.  We could hear fine, but only a few could see what was going on.  Occasional whispering among the crowd made it impossible to hear, though.  And the floors were wood, so any shuffling of the feet drowned out the speaker as well.  Everyone did their best to remain quiet and still, though, so the experience wasn’t bad at all.

My favorite part of any funeral is when survivors get a chance to speak about their fondest memories.  There were so many people there, though, that those comments were wisely limited to just a few who had prepared some words beforehand.  A niece and a sister spoke.  And one lady introduced herself by complementing Susan on having a Jewish lady speak at an Italian Catholic funeral.  Funny stuff.  A reception was announced for after the graveside portion of the service.  It was to be “at Shrimp n Stuff – the greatest place to eat on Galveston Island.”  Can’t argue with that.  The memorial ended with an a capella solo of Amazing Grace.  Beautiful. 

I did get to stop by station five on my way home.  Haisley Anderson was there visiting her Daddy.  She is the little girl I saw so many times in the hospital.  She sure looks better now.  Very happy. 

The rest of my day?  Chris went to Hobby Lobby.  I worked on the sermon for Sunday.  Mom took a nap on the couch.  Diversion, vocation, and relaxation.  Great ways to spend a Saturday.

Colossians 3:16-17 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Father, walk with Susan’s family through their grief.  And thank you for Haisley’s progress.  Amen.

No comments: