Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 15 – “Where’s the fun in that?”


Well, then.  Cheyenne helped me to enjoy my birthday to the fullest possible degree.  She went out of her way to practice her mathematics skills, no doubt in preparation for her upcoming school semester.  The classic word problem she was struggling with resulted in the disturbing conclusion that good old Uncle Kelley was now officially 49 years older than she is.  Ouch. 

Chris took the girls back to the beach for another run at finding seashells and sand dollars and avoiding dead sea shad.  For the most part, though, all the dead carcasses had been removed by our trusty beach scrapers.  Gotta keep the walkways clear for the tourist trade.  They also collected a gallon jug full of sea water to take home to their little pets.  Apparently the hottest thing in animal husbandry in Victoria is to have a pet hermit crab.  Not an easy task, from what I hear.  On top of feeding then, you have to “change things around” for them every few days.  Not sure exactly what that means. 

I stayed behind to watch out for Mom and ended up fielding a myriad of birthday wishes on Facebook.  Thanks so much to everyone.  I did get to leave the house for a few minutes.  Chris needed me to run to WalMart for some cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  Jachin and Micah decided to spend the night as well.  Birthday sleepover and all.  And Josiah stuck around for a few hours.  I’m sure it had nothing to do with the fact that their parents’ 13th wedding anniversary was also yesterday.  Nathan brought Cailyn over to be part of the madness.  Josh even called on Face Time and we got to say hello to Caleb and Zakary.  Ain’t families grand?  We ordered pizza, cooked some lasagna, and topped it off with some birthday cake.  Had to light the candles a few times, though.  Lots of help blowing them out. 

Mom decided to hold off her part in the celebration until last night.  All night.  She must have been up fifteen or twenty times.  And Chris jumped up to meet her in the hall every time.  She managed to convince her to get back in bed every time, too.  And when I finally gave up and got up, Chris told me to do my best to keep her in bed until the kids all woke up.  She was hoping for another few minutes of sleep since she has to take Taylor and Cheyenne home today.  That’ll be my afternoon – praying for Chris to stay awake.

Mom made another attempt to get up around 7:15 or so, but Jachin was already in the office with me and Micah had been rousing, so I got her some breakfast.  That wasn’t an easy task, though.  She wanted some chocolate birthday cake. 

So it wasn’t exactly what I would have planned as a birthday celebration, but it has been fun.  Sleep is a bit over rated anyway.  And the latest episode of Warehouse 13 was recorded.  Maybe I’ll just piggyback on Chris’ birthday celebration come Friday.  Speaking of which, I should probably figure out a gift for her, shouldn’t I?  The only thing she said she wants is a dose of sanity.  Not sure I can provide that around this house.  Besides, where’s the fun in that? 

Psalms 22:9-10 says, “Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother's breast.  From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God.”

Father, I’m not sure who is supposed to do the casting with regard to these grandkids of ours, but for my part, they are yours.  Love ‘em.  Amen.

No comments: