Thursday, December 29, 2011

December 29 – “A Star find”

 
 
I cleaned out the garage again the other day.  You know the routine, right?  Drag everything out.  Sweep the floor.  Drag everything back in, perhaps in a somewhat different order.  This time I did throw away some boxes and stuff. 
 
Oh, and I found one of those plastic tubs that we had stored for about three years after Hurricane Ike.  It's been sitting at the bottom of the pile for that whole time, I guess.  It was full of Christmas stuff.  I knew it was untouched since Ike because the stuff inside was wrapped in newspaper dated September 2008.  I casually moved the stuff around to see if there was anything I could sneak into the trash can before Chris saw it.  And what should I find but the elusive star carving from way back in our married career?  Just tossed casually in there, waiting to be rediscovered.  The infamous star carving.  The inspiration for the one I did this year.  The star of the Christmas story that I wrote for Christmas Eve.  Guess I spent all that time on a new one for nothing. 
 
We went to the post office was open on Monday to mail the IRS audit stuff.  They were closed, but we did get to visit for a moment with a friend from church.  She even encouraged me to get my Christmas stories published.  Guess if I ever do I'll sell at least one copy.  I sure hope that IRS thing goes through without a hitch. 
 
It took me two tries and two different Red Boxes to find a movie to watch for last night.  Not a single one on our list was available the first time we were at WalMart.  I went back by on my way home from a wedding rehearsal and got The Zookeeper.  Pretty fun movie.  Talking animals helping the guy with his love life.  Kind of predictable, but fun nevertheless.
 
The wedding that goes with that rehearsal is this morning at 10:30.  Very unusual time for a ceremony, I know.  But it's a second marriage for them both.  Their children are the attendants.  In fact all of them – bride and groom and four children – will be involved in doing the sand ceremony.  That's a version of the unity candle where jars of two different colors of sand are emptied into a third jar, forming a design.  In this case each family member will have a turn at pouring some sand, so it will be a great representation of a blended family.  Should be fun.  And it give me something to do while we wait for Josh and Christi and Zak and Caleb to get here.  More grandkids.  Another Christmas tomorrow morning.  Bring them on!
 
Isaiah 42:1-4 says, "Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations.  He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets.  A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.  In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth.  In his law the islands will put their hope."
 
Father, thank you for insignificant discoveries and marriages and visits from grandkids.  Great pictures of hope, all.  Amen.

No comments: