Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November 4 – “I hate religion”

 

We had some extra bodies around the school today.  The plumber arrived to install the new o n demand hot water heater.  It is located up above the ceiling, so they brought in a ladder and their tools.  Math class was the pathway to the black hole that developed when he pushed aside the ceiling tile and disappeared into the ceiling.  At least one of them disappeared.  The other guy stuck around.  In fact he crawled up on the ladder and sat down on the very top so that his head was half way in and half way out.  He was waiting just in case the guy who was actually in the attic ever needed anything.  Interesting job.  He quietly hummed to himself until he came looking for me to find out where to turn the water off.  That was a potential crisis that we managed to divert by spreading the word earlier to "hit the bathrooms as soon and as often as you can!"  No one seemed to miss it when the water was off.  Now we have to wait for the electrician to actually plug it in to the breakers.  Not sure when that will occur.  He was going to come tonight, but the contractor never let me know for sure.

 

Tomorrow should be interesting, too.  It's the math teacher's last day.  The high schoolers begged him to bring one of his goats with him to class tomorrow.  I waited until he was outside, and told him to bring it on.  I forgot to tell the kindergarten teacher about it, though.  I guess they'll find out soon enough in the morning.

 

One of the high school guys stopped the Bible teacher and me after school today.  The student is moving to Tomball, and Friday is his last day.  He told us, "You two are the most religious guys I know."  We both responded almost immediately.  The Bible teacher said, "I'm not religious at all."  I said something along the lines of, "I hate religion."  The student's jaw dropped open.  Obviously not what he was expecting to hear.  All he could muster, though, was, "What?"  The Bible teacher said, "We're both into relationship, not religion."  And the student seemed to be fascinated.  I backed off and let them continue talking.  I'm anxious to find out the outcome of that one.  That kind of opportunity is why we have the school in the first place.

 

Matthew 28:16-20 says, "Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'"

 

Father, please touch that student and draw him to you.  Amen.


No comments: