Wednesday, September 20, 2017

September 20 – “A surprise resource”

I made a trip to downtown Galveston yesterday.  I wanted to introduce myself to the on-site coordinator of the North American Mission Board (NAMB).  That’s one of the national hurricane relief agencies operating with Galveston as a base.  I wanted to ask about where they were sending volunteers, what supplies they had available, and how far they were going in their assistance.  The last question was answered rather quickly.  They are here for phase one operations only.  They primarily help empty out and muck out homes, then spray them for mold.  There is apparently an entirely different division that helps with rebuilding homes.  He didn’t know if that division was going to be deployed in this area or not.  He did ask me to send him any addresses I might encounter of homes that still need to be mucked out.  He has a glut of volunteers scheduled, and he wants to use them in this South of Houston area as much as possible.  As I was leaving he gave me a tour of their two shower trailers, a freezer trailer, and an ice machine that have all been set up to provide for the volunteers.

They are not at all set up as a distribution center for supplies or food or clothing.  Well, except for Shockwave, the mold killing product they are using.  He said they will give water bottles full of the stuff with strict instructions on usage (one fourth of a bottle to a gallon of water).  Oh, and on the shower trailer tour he remarked that they had received an entire pallet of dehumidifiers and rolled roofing. 

I went from there over to fire station one to check in with the guys on duty since I was so close.  And that’s when I found out a fairly well-kept secret.  Come to find out there are several fire fighters who live here on the Island who have water damage in their homes.  Now, understand, these are the guys who spent the first few days after the storm on duty or volunteering to help with rescues.  Then they transitioned into creating work crews to tear out the moldy sheetrock and flooring in other fire fighter homes.  All the while, they never bothered to let on that their own homes had received some damage as well.  See, parts of the Island did receive heavy rainfall, and depending on the drainage capacity of individual neighborhoods, some parts did experience flooding.  But these fire fighters never told anyone about their damage because they considered it minor in comparison to what the folks on the mainland were undergoing.  Minor?  OK.  But still a significant drain on their personal time and resources.  Two of the guys were apparently still trying to get their homes to dry out enough to continue with repairs.  They needed a … dehumidifier.  Ding.  Ding.  Ding.  My old brain may be deteriorating, but even I could make that connection.

I put in a call to the NAMB guy I had just spent an hour or so with.  When he heard that a request was coming in for a dehumidifier that two first responders could share, he would have none of it.  He insisted that they each be given one, with no strings attached.  He was even willing to deliver them to the station himself.  I offered to do it for him, since I could take them directly to the guys’ homes that needed them, and he was appreciative.  I think deep down he really just wanted to go visit a fire station.  What little boy doesn’t love a fire truck?  I assured him he would be more than welcome, but in the end his tight schedule forced him to comply with my offer. 

I made contact with each of the fire fighters, and dropped off the dehumidifiers.  They were both humbled and excited.  The plan is to make the machines available to whoever might need them now, them to store them at the fire fighters’ union hall for when the next “event” occurs.  And it will occur.  Leave it to our fire fighters to be prepared for the future.

2 Peter 1:10-11 says, “Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”


Father, once again you amaze me with the way you meet needs before we even know what they will be.  Thank you for that.  Amen.

No comments: