Friday, April 8, 2011

April 8 – “Convergence”

 

I got to hear my first Astros game of the season yesterday.  It wasn't their first game of the season, though.  They had already played five.  And lost all of them.  I had heard tiny bits and pieces of a few other games, but I was actually excited.  I was going to be able to listen uninterrupted to a hefty portion of this one.  I did intend to watch the first part on TV, but sadly, the game was not broadcast.  And why was I going to be able to enjoy this finest of diversions?  Because of the convergence of two totally separate events: Chris had another of her balance therapy sessions up in Houston, and the game was in Cincinnati and started at 11:00 in the morning. 

 

We loaded up the car with Mom on one side of the back seat and Cailyn on the other side.  We had Cailyn because her Mom and Dad were both in school.  We had Mom simply because she didn't want to stay at home by herself.  We didn't expect Cailyn to be awake for very long anyway, since it was her nap time.  I honestly didn't expect me to be awake very long either.  Early afternoon (not my best time arthritis-wise).  In the car.  Trusty crossword puzzle book in my lap.  Astros game on the radio.  Everything was in place. 

 

I lasted a bit longer than Cailyn.  Mom did her best to keep her awake, but not long after we cleared the causeway and rolled into Texas, all of a sudden, literally in mid-sentence Cailyn was out.  I lasted awhile longer.  I seem to remember the water tower at Baybrook Mall, but nothing else until Mom grabbed the back of my seat somewhere on the 610 loop around Houston.  I hastily, but nonchalantly turned up the sound on the radio to check on the game.  The Astros led. 

 

We soon arrived at the office where Chris' therapy was to take place.  I selflessly volunteered to stay in the car with Cailyn so she would have to wake up from her nap.  Mom said she would stay to keep me company.  She likes the Astros, too.  And for the next hour we rolled down windows and shifted in our seats to stay out of the sun.  It was almost like actually being at the game in person without the benefit of actually seeing the game.  Or having access to frozen lemonade.  The Astros blew their lead, but came back in the top of the ninth and scored again to go ahead.

 

And just about the time the last out was made and the Astros were victorious for the first time this year, Cailyn began to stir in her carseat.  When she came fully awake we headed inside to check on Chris and met her at the door.  After a brief stretch break we strapped back in and began the trek back home.  Cailyn was a delightful companion this trip, laughing and playing with Chris and Mom.  Very helpful since I was the designated driver.  And Chris has a whole new set of head exercises to play with.

 

Jeremiah 32:26-27 says, "Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: 'I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?'"

 

Father, there is nothing "too" anything for you.  You are the very definition of "too."  Amen.

No comments: